The Amtrak Empire Builder route connects Chicago to Seattle, with access to Glacier National Park along the way.
- Make Train Reservations Online or Call Amtrak at 800-872-7245.
- Three train stations are within close proximity to Glacier National Park.
- The Empire Builder line takes you from Chicago to Portland or Seattle via North Dakota, Montana, and northern Idaho.
Take the Empire Builder to Glacier National Park
From Chicago to Seattle, the Empire Builder rolls through the Northern U.S. with stops in St. Paul/Minneapolis, Milwaukee, North Dakota, Glacier National Park, and Spokane. The track splits in the northwest with access to either Portland or Seattle. Possibly one of the most scenic routes in the country, visiting Glacier by train is a great experience.
Make Reservations Online or Call Amtrak at 800-872-7245.
Nearby Train Stations:
East Glacier Park (GPK):
- Address: 400 Highway 49 North, East Glacier Park, MT 59434
- Services: Open from mid-Spring through mid-Fall, the East Glacier Station is an enclosed waiting area. No ticketing services available.
- Distance to Glacier National Park: 30 miles from the East Entrance at St. Mary.
- Getting Around: The East Glacier Park Station is located in East Glacier Park Village, a small but fully equipped village with hotels and restaurants, car rentals (two of which are very close to the station), and guide services.
- Address: 290 Izaak Walton Inn Road (Izaak Walton Inn), Essex, MT 59916
- Services: None, only a platform with no shelter, no ticketing counter, no Quik-Trak kiosk, and no checked baggage service.
- Distance to Glacier National Park: 30 miles to Lake McDonald.
- Getting Around: The Essex Station is a flagstop located within the park, directly across from the Izaak Walton Inn which is the primary lodging option and attraction at the location. Izaak Walton Inn offers shuttle service to/from the train stop and park guides (like the Red Jammer Buses) offer tours right from the hotel.
West Glacier (WGL):
- Address: Highway 2 and Going-to-the-Sun Highway, West Glacier, MT 59936
- Services: The West Glacier Station is an enclosed waiting area. No ticketing services available.
- Distance to Glacier National Park: 0 miles (it's located at the entrance to the park.
- Getting Around: West Glacier Train Station is located right in the heart of West Glacier, near Apgar Village. You can easily access hotels and restaurants. To explore the park, sign up for a Red Jammer Bus Tour.
The Empire Builder runs daily. Leaving Chicago at 2:15pm and arriving 2 days later in Portland at 10:10am or Seattle at 10:45am. Alternatively, travel east from Portland at 4:45pm or Seattle at 4:40pm and arrive in Chicago 2 days later at 3:55pm.
- Arrival Times Heading West:
East Glacier - 4:10pm
Essex - 5:58pm
West Glacier - 7:20pm
- Arrival Times Heading East:
West Glacier - 10:23am
Essex - 7:59am
East Glacier - 3:05am